Monday, December 8, 2008

The first Doctor's appointment

November 1, 2008
We had our first prenatal visit on Saturday, November 1. The doctor I've been seeing since moving to Chicagoland in '03 is in Elmhurst, is not a prenatal facility so I'd have to go to another office, and the hospital to deliver at would be in Elmhurst, which is about 25min drive from us. And as some of you know, we are walking distance to St. Alexius Medical Center in Hoffman Estates, which is where I would like to deliver.
So after some science-fair research and a bunch of calls to various doctors, I finally found one in our network who we could go to: Women's Health First . They have offices by Woodfield Mall and in St. Alexius, with evening and weekend hours so very convenient. There are 5 doctors that I will rotate having appointments with so I can get to know all of them, and whichever doctor is on-call the day I go into labor, will be the Doctor who will deliver Silly Baby!
So onto the actual Dr.'s appointment. Tim came with me, which was important to us for this first one. I had to fill out a whole bunch of paperwork, take a urine test (which I have to do at every appt!!! jeez!), then we went right in for the ultrasound to verify the pregnancy. I had an internal ultrasound and sure enough - no sooner was it in that up on the big screen in front of us, there was Silly Baby just hanging out! And that is how the name "Silly Baby" came to be. I was laying on the exam table, and my first thoughts seeing the baby was "Look at that Silly Baby! What is it doing in there! What a Silly Baby!" Some women are in shock, some women cry - but no, in my first ultrasound - I laughed!!!
Based on the ultrasound measurements they took, they determined the due date is May 31, 2009. Which is very cool, because that will be the 6th anniversary of the day Tim & I met at Josh and Tina's wedding! So at this appt, I was just about 10weeks along.
After that I had the usual exam and a blood test. I'm no good with getting blood drawn, but Tim was there to hold my hand and it went just fine!
So we went home with the now famous sonogram pictures that we used to share the news with everyone, and a copy of "What to Expect When You're Expecting" that I've been a very good student and reading often.
After the appt we went to Chipotle for lunch and threw out baby name ideas!

5 comments:

MyMuse said...

Haha! Get used to going to the bathroom first thing when you get to the doctor. You'll be a pro at peeing in a cup before you know it!

Monica O'Neill said...

Yea, at this appt it was first thing in the morning so I had JUST gone before I left the house. My next appt is tomorrow, so I'll have to drink some water before I leave :)

Miss Organizized said...

You gotta put a photo up!!! I just got my prints of all the billions of pix I took over the fall and I smiled and laughed when I looked at the one I took of Silly Baby on your fridge! :)

Monica O'Neill said...

Well, unless you wanna buy us a scanner for Christmas - no sonograms on the blog :(
Sorry!

MyMuse said...

Soon, you won't need to drink water before the pee test, because you'll have to pee all the time! Hey, you could take a digital pic of the sonogram pic if you want to post it. That's what Josh and I did when I out mine up on myspace. Just a thought!