Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The 2nd Dr.'s Appt

November 21
As I'm sure many of you know, I am *not* good getting blood drawn? Well, at the first appt, they only took one vile and Tim was with me so it was fine.
At this second appt, Tim was not with me, but since it went ok the last time I wasn't too nervous this time around. Well, this time it was a different story…
I had SIX viles taken and no Tim! So I had my head turned in the complete opposite direction reading about parrots on some calendar on the wall and I thought I was doing a good job distracting myself.
Finally, she's done taking the blood, but then I have to do a tuberculosis test, so they stick me in another part of my arm for a minute.
Then at last, it’s all done and I can leave. But I get really thirsty, I ask for something to drink so she gives me some apple juice. I take one sip and start feeling nauseous and tell her I might be sick. So she’s going to walk me to the bathroom right around the corner, but it’s a single person bathroom and someone’s in there. Next thing I know, I’m sitting on the floor and they’re putting a cold compress behind my neck!! I had totally passed out and they caught me as I fell to the ground! I think I was only passed out for a few seconds. But then I had that all over sweat going on. So then they have me lay down in an open exam room for 5min and then like that! I feel totally fine. I got up after a few minutes and come to work. So of course I was all embarrassed. And now I’m gonna be even worse next time I have to give blood!!!

But in GOOD news, I got to see Silly Baby again and hear the heartbeat! In the sonogram pictures from this appointment, it's amazing how much Silly Baby has grown in just three weeks. From looking like a little alien peanut, s/he now has a face and coming into true human form! Plus the technician was poking my belly to get different views of Silly Baby and said that s/he's very responsive and cooperative - another good sign! Plus its neck measured normal which is a good sign that s/he doesn’t have down syndrome. And the overall baby size is normal too. Even though I think s/he’s got a big head ;)

The next appointment is Wednesday, 12/10 and we will get all the results from the blood work.

2 comments:

MyMuse said...

Ahh! Passing out isn't fun. I never did but felt like it a lot. Especially towards the end when you are all big and stuff. I'm glad you are ok and I don't think you'll have to do anymore big blood draws like that from what I remember. Are you showing yet???

Monica O'Neill said...

I don't even think me passing out had anything to do with being pregnant. The only other time I've fainted is in high school when I donated blood! So I think it's a needle/blood thing :)