Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Week #34: The 8th Doctor's Appointment

Wednesday, April 22

This was the doctor's appointment we had been looking forward to since our ultrasound in the 20th week. Tim took the day off of work as we felt this would be the most important of these final prenatal visits for him to be a part of. We were finally going to see Silly Baby again! It has been 14 weeks since our last ultrasound and the sonogram hanging on our fridge is clearly outdated!
I lay on the exam table, holding Tim's hand and get ready for the "show", anxious in anticipation to see Silly Baby's face! First we got to see the top of the head, which is in position (head down in my womb), they take the measurement of the head and move on.
Next, we get to see Silly Baby's belly which looked all sortsa round and plump in my opinion! Then just a quick glimpse of Silly Baby's legs. The technician continued taking measurements of my amniotic fluid level and whatever else they measure to estimate the baby's weight.
The technician moved the wand back to Silly Baby's head, but unfortunately for us (and for all of you hoping to see another sonogram!), it was not to be. Silly Baby was facing my back so we couldn't see any facial features, not even a profile shot. So that was that! Silly Baby is very shy!
There's a chance I would get an ultrasound around 40 weeks if I seem to be going past-term, but most likely not. So, along with gender, Silly Baby's face will remain a mystery until s/he comes out to meet us! Which, should be sometime in the next 4-6 weeks!

Here are some stats we got from the appointment:
  • Silly Baby weighs 5lbs. 8oz.
  • S/he is in the 50th percentile of weight
  • Heart rate was 133

My next appointment will be in 2 weeks - Friday, May 1. I will have weekly check-ups after that point. In the next appointment I will take the Group B Strep test; which, if I have it, I will be given antibiotics during labor so the baby is not affected by it.

2 comments:

MyMuse said...

i Can't believe how close it's getting. Too bad we couldn't all see silly baby's face but all the more a surprise you will have when he/she is born!! Enjoy your last weeks of freedom (and sleep!) :):)

Monica O'Neill said...

Yea, but I guess it all adds to the mystery. Silly Baby is very mysterious!