Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The 4th Dr.'s Appt: Ultrasound

We got to see Silly Baby for a good 10-15 minutes last night during the ultrasound. This ultrasound was to measure the baby as well as its organs to make sure everything is what it should be. This ultrasound, for some, is also to find out the gender - which we did not!
As soon as we walked into the ultrasound room, I blurted out that we did not want to find out the gender!
At first, Silly Baby was twisting and turning all over the place, making it very difficult for the ultrasound tech to see what she needed to. It was pretty funny seeing Silly Baby flopping all over the place in there! And laying still on the exam table, I could certainly feel the movements. I haven't noticed if 6pm is Silly Baby's active time, since that's usually when I'm doing things around the house, making dinner, etc. But it certainly was its active time last night!
Eventually Silly Baby calmed down and the tech was able to see all the organs, etc. that she needed for measurements. As she measured the organs she would tell us what it was, so we got to see Silly Baby's brain, heart, spine and abdomen. We mainly got to see its profile - but for just a moment, Silly Baby looked right as us! But it wasn't long enough for the tech to take a picture, because after a few seconds, Silly Baby seemed to become shy and turn its head down and bury it from us. That was my favorite part of the ultrasound :)
There was also a view when the tech was measuring Silly Baby's head size, that we were looking down from the top of the body, and the way Silly Baby's arms were - it looked like it was boxing!!! So we decided it's learning to play Wii Boxing since I was doing that a bunch on Sunday :)
Also, when Silly Baby settled down into the profile view we got to see the most, s/he kept opening and closing its mouth! S/he looked like they were smacking bubble gum! Very funny to see!
Even though we didn't want to find out from the tech the gender of the baby, of course it is hard not to look for the "boy part." I don't think I saw anything - not to say I don't think it could be a boy, just that I didn't see anything that would be obviously a boy part from what I could tell. Tim didn't think he saw a boy part, so kinda thinks it could be a girl, but again - I'm sure the tech steered clear of that area when she could so we never got a real solid long look at the area to know.
We won't see Silly Baby again until Week #35, which is the last week in April.

Now for some updates:
  • Silly Baby currently weighs 10oz. (which is normal)
  • Heart rate was 143
  • All organ measurements were normal
  • Monica has gained 8lbs. total since the beginning of the pregnancy
  • Tim & I will begin our "Prepared Childbirth" classes at our hospital-St. Alexius-on Monday, February 9th. The classes are every Monday for 7 weeks from 7:30-9:30p.m.

7 comments:

MyMuse said...

So can you feel the baby moving a lot now? Just wait until that little flutter is a huge kick!! That's so cool that you did not find out the sex. With Ethan we didn't know what we were looking at on the ultrasound until the tech pointed it out (That it was a boy!). With Zachary, Josh found the "boy part" before the tech even told us! It was pretty obvious. It'll be so exciting to find out!!!

Monica O'Neill said...

Yea, Silly Baby's moving all over the place in the past week. It feels almost like "pulses" more than a "flutter". Sort of like when you sprint or are nervous and your heart beats real hard in your chest!!! So far, there's only been one kick I could feel from the outside. I was laying in bed and told Tim. He put his hand where I felt the kick for like 5min, but then Silly Baby must have fallen asleep or something :)
I feel Silly Baby a lot on my 20min drive to work, and actually for the past couple hours today - s/he's been going NUTS!

MyMuse said...

Ahhh! That's so cool. Josh could not feel the first kicks from the outside even though I could see them! It was when the baby was quite a bit bigger when he started to feel them. Pay attention to his/her awake and asleep times; it can stay the same even after the baby is born! Zachary would keep me up all night at the end of my pregnancy. With Ethan, he's go bananas after I drank cranberry juice!? So I had to stop drinking it!

Monica O'Neill said...

Wow! I haven't been able to SEE the movement yet. That'll be freaky!
That's really interesting about the baby's sleep/awake time staying true after they're born!
The movements have been pretty sporadic, only consistency is around the middle of the day at work and my drive in that I've noticed so far.

MyMuse said...

the sleep/wake cycles will get very obvious later on. Oh, you'll not only be able to see the kicks, but you can see limbs poking out and the head and the butt. And you'll see them move around your whole abdomen. It is awesome, and yes, a little freaky too!!

Monica O'Neill said...

Yea, I remember you and Lorie talking about being able to see the arms, legs, head and stuff later on in the pregnancy! That'll be crazy! But I'm sure I'll get used to it, and end up loving it. B/c I remember thinking kicks would be gross feeling, and at first it was - but now it's really fun! Sometimes I poke my belly to see if I can get Silly Baby to move. It's like our first "interaction" :)

Miss Organizized said...

AHHHHHH!!!!!! I want to explode with excitement reading all of this and all of your comments!!!! SO MUCH FUN! I too am looking forward to later stages to see if you have similar experiences with all the movement and stuff NEAT SOUNDS!!! Well I'm SUPER happy that everything is going to plan and Silly Baby is healthy! I'm feeling GIRL but you never know!