Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sleep Update


The night after we ended Addison's "Sleep Training", she was snarfing up quite a bit during her bedtime story. I couldn't soothe her so after a few minutes, I just put her down in her crib for a moment and then I was going to try soothing her more. Well, there was no need to! Not even a minute after I put her in her crib, she was fast asleep!

She has only napped her crib once before - for about 30minutes. I do put her in her crib almost everyday, but she usually just hangs out in there - looking at her mobile and crib soother. So imagine my surprise that she immediately fell asleep, especially while being crabby!

I always figured the first night we'd put Addison in her crib would be a momentus occassion with a lot of build-up to it. But instead, it was just an unplanned event! She slept in her crib til about 2am when she woke up to nurse. Just having her sleep in her crib from 9pm-2am was enough progress for me, so after I nursed her at 2am, I kept her in bed with us to sleep.

And that is how it has been for nearly the past two weeks! She goes in the crib after her bedtime story around 8-8:30, then wakes up somewhere between 12:30am-2am to nurse and I keep her in bed with us. The best part, is that we were finally able to put the pack 'n play away! So now I no longer have to crawl into bed from the foot of the bed or slide the pack n play out of the way to get out of bed. Our room looks twice as big now!!!

I'm thinking this week, I will attempt to put her back in her crib after her middle of the night feeding and see how that goes.

I will admit, even though Addison sleeping in her crib is what I wanted - I was very sad to see her sleeping in there. It was like she was all grown up - and didn't need to be snuggled up against me to sleep anymore. So, I was actually relieved when she woke up at 2am to nurse.

That is the harsh reality of motherhood...you want your child to grow and mature - but when they do, you wish for those old times back.

No comments: