Thursday, September 29, 2011

Addison - the BIG Sister!

Addison's going to be a Big Sister somewhere around March 14, 2012. Although, if you ask her, there's no "going to be" involved - she already IS a Big Sister in her mind!


I'm Addison O'Neill. I'm a Big Sister!
Addison has been introducing herself (as her full name) for the past several months. However, once we introduced the concept that she is going to be a Big Sister to her back in late July, she has been introducing herself to EVERYONE as Addison O'Neill, the Big Sister. And I do mean everyone - the checkout lady at Food 4 Less, kids on the playground, friends, etc. It's just a part of her name now!


Introducing Silly Baby to Baby Punky
We found out about O'Neill baby #2 in mid-July. A few days later, I said a couple things to Addison about Mommy having a baby in my belly. She didn't seem that interested or really understanding of it, so we waited until our first prenatal appointment on July 19 to really tell her the news. Tim and Addie met me at the Dr's office after work, and on the way there, Tim was telling her we were going to see Mommy at the Dr and see the baby in my belly.
She was very excited when we went in for the ultrasound. Now, keep in mind I was not even 6 weeks along at this ultrasound, so there wasn't much to look at. But we still pointed the baby out to Addison and she was excited, pointing and saying "There's baby!"


Addison's Announcement 
When it was time to tell the grandparents that a new O'Neill baby was on the way, we wanted Addison to play a big part. So, when I was about 10 weeks along, we arranged to see all 3 grandparents in one weekend. On the Friday night, I wrote a poem to put on a card that Addison decorated for each grandparent. Grandma Simon came down to babysit on Saturday and on Sunday, Grandma G and Grandpa O'Neill and co. came over to swim in the pool. Shortly after they each arrived, we  told them Addison made them something. Addison handed her the card enthusiastically - although I'm not sure she totally got what was going on. We tried to get Addie to announce it as the card was being read, but she wasn't participating. When they each got about halfway down the message on the card, they got it.


This is what the card said:
I know something you don't know!


Over the fall and through the snow
In Mommy's belly, my baby brother or sister will grow
Yes, I'm going to be a big sister, and today is the day I can let you know!


On Monday morning, Addison wore her new "Big Sister" outfit over to Auntie Lorie's. Before we even got inside she saw the shirt and was so excited. The Simon cousins were all excited to as we shared the news with them as well. Apparently for weeks before, Addison had been saying that she was gonna be a big sister and there's a baby in mommy's belly - so they weren't completely surprised!
The final act of Addison's Announcement was for the Facebook world, in this video:




Addison loves watching this video of herself - and we love watching it too. It is already putting tears and my eyes and I can only imagine what it will do to me years from now when Addison and Baby Punkin have grown up together. It will be a great keepsake, that is for sure!


Follow Baby Punkin's developments here: www.babypunky.blogspot.com

6 comments:

Kathy said...

Monica, Kelly was about Addison's age when she would go up to a kid of any age no matter where we were and say "Hi, my name is Kelly Elizabeth Beauchamp and you are my friend--What's your name?"

Monica O'Neill said...

Funny! Yea, Addison always asks people what their name is - or asks me what their name is. I think that's good if they are outgoing and friendly!
I was shy when I was a little kid, until I got to know someone. So I hope Addie is more outgoing!

Kathy said...

That is good as long as she isn't like her Aunt Michelle who would go home from the park with any kid--I am sure you have heard that story many times.

Monica O'Neill said...

Oh hahah! Yea, I've heard stories similar to that. Addison still has a little timidness to her - where she always wants Mommy or Daddy nearby so that shouldn't be a problem.
Michelle certainly was independent!!

Miss Organizized said...

AHHH!!! I got completely choked up back there!! It all just HIT ME! Being closest to you of all my friends with kids, I'm going to really experience what it's like to see someone meet their younger sibling (something that's extra meaningful for me of course!)...it's just really cool and hard to explain haha!! But everything you did for all the g'rents and family was just crazy awesome and clever. You BOTH have such great ideas when it comes to surprises!! PS I need to make a point to introduce my full name to Addie...I want to hear her say hers!!

Monica O'Neill said...

Katie - even though I'm leaning towards boy this time around, something that I think about to prepare myself for Baby Punkin ending up a girl - is the possibilities of a GREAT sister relationship Addison and Punkin could have!
And of course I totally think of you and Mandsi, and how cool that would be. So yea, if Punkin is a girl it will be like Addison is you and Punkin is Mandsi?!?!?! You'll have to teach Addison what it's all about to be a big sister cuz I have no clue :0)